Meeting income requirements for sponsoring parents to Canada

Posted on Categories Parent Sponsorship

In order to qualify as a sponsor in the parental sponsorship category, a person must have the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) plus 30% (see section 133(1)(j)(i)(B) IRPR) AND the evidence must be issued by the Receiver General for Canada and/or the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Furthermore, the sponsor must be able to demonstrate that he has the necessary MNI for the three year period before submitting the application. If you would like to submit an application when the program re-opens on 4 January 2016, then you must submit your Notice of Assessment for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014.

In addition, the sponsor (and co-sponsor if applicable) must meet the MNI in the table for the necessary number of people. In light of the above, you must submit your Notice of Assessment and/or Option “C” Printout issued by CRA along with pay stubs.

If you do not meet the MNI for 2012, 2013 and 2014 then you may be able to submit a Super Visa application for your parents, so that they can come and visit for up to 2 years on any one stay, over a 10 year period.

How do I calculate the MNI?

In order to determine the MNI, you must add the current members of the household and those overseas. In order to determine whether a person meets the MNI, the Government will look at “line 150” on the Notice of Assessment.

Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
Size of Family Unit Minimum Income
Minimum Income
Minimum Income
2 persons $38,272 $37,708 $36,637
3 persons $47,051 $46,354 $45,040
4 persons $57,125 $56,280 $54,685
5 persons $64,791 $63,833 $62,023
6 persons $73,072 $71,991 $69,950
7 persons $81,355 $80,153 $77,879
If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add $8,271 $8,148 $7,929


The Minimum Necessary Income requirement, which you must meet for each of the three years preceding the date of your application, is equal to the Low Income Cut-Offs (LICO) plus 30%.

I want to know more about sponsoring parents to Canada

[button url=”” target=”_self” size=”small” style=”royalblue” ]Book a Consultation[/button]



About the Author

Harjit Grewal was born and educated in the United Kingdom where he obtained his LLB (Bachelor of Law) and LLM (Master of Law). He practiced British immigration law for seven years with the respected Immigration Advisory Service as a member of the Law Society of England & Wales and the Office for the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). After moving to Canada he secured the prestigious ICCRC designation to provide authorized Canadian visa and immigration services.


  1. I have a plan to be a sponsor for my mom.
    With my mom size is 5 so minimum income should be around $63000, my question is individual income should be matched $63000 or is it possible for 3years total income is around 200k?
    Cause 2014 income was less then minimum but 2016 income was way higher then.

  2. I am married to Canadian citizen. I have 2 kids from my ex boyfriend in the Philippines. My oldest son is 18 years old. Can he sponsor his father back home in the Philippines to bring in Canada.

Add a commentLeave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.