Canadian Citizenship

Canadian Citizenship

Understand the rules relating to Citizenship by descent and naturalization.

Canadian Citizenship by Descent

Sterling Immigration regularly prepare and submit Canadian Citizenship applications for children born overseas to a Canadian parent. This is known as Canadian Citizenship by descent. Canadian citizenship by descent is limited to the first generation born outside Canada to a Canadian parent.

Canadian Citizenship by Naturalisation

To be eligible to become a Canadian citizen through the naturalization process the following conditions:

Age – you must be at least 18 years old to apply for Canadian citizenship. If your child is under 18, you may apply for them if they have permanent resident status.

Permanent Resident Status – you must have permanent resident status. You don’t need a valid PR Card to apply for citizenship. If you have an expired PR card, you can still apply for citizenship but your PR status must not be under review or in question.

Residency Obligations – you must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,095 days during the five years immediately preceding the date of your application. Time spent in Canada on a valid work or study permit can count towards the residency obligation. The residency requirements do not apply to children under 18.

Income Tax Filing – you must meet your personal income tax filing obligations in three tax years that are fully or partially within the five years right before the date you apply.

Language Ability – you must demonstrate proficiency in English or French.

Canadian Citizenship Test – you must take a Canadian Citizenship Test and demonstrate how well you know Canada.

Prohibitions – if you have committed a crime in or outside Canada, you may not be eligible to become a Canadian citizen for a period of time.

Our Services

Canada allows dual nationality enabling an Applicant to retain the citizenship if their country of origin.

For more information please schedule a consultation


Canadian Legal Advice