Canada Self Employed Visa
To qualify for the Canada Self Employed visa, you must prove that you have 2 years’ relevant self-employment experience in cultural activities or athletics in the 5-years immediately preceding your application (see below for occupation list).
You must demonstrate that you have the intention and ability to become self-employed in Canada. This is the most important element of this program and one that applicants completely overlook. A person’s financial assets may be a measure of intent and ability to establish self-employment in Canada.
Applicants are also assessed based on their education, experience, age, language ability, adaptability and ability to become established in Canada.
Applicants must not only meet the tests of experience, the regulatory definition of a self-employed worker, the tests of intention and ability to become self-employed, they must also meet the test of significant contribution to Canada. This test ensures that frivolous or weak applications will be refused.
Advantages of the Self-Employed Immigration Program
- A job offer is not required.
- No conditions on your status.
- No need to purchase or establish a business before arrival in Canada
- If successful, you will be granted Canadian Permanent Residence.
- Fast processing time from the United Kingdom – 18 months.
Eligible Occupations for a Canada Self Employed Visa
If you have 2 years self-employed experience in one of the occupations below you may qualify for Canadian permanent residence:
- Actors & Comedians
- Announcers & Broadcasters
- Artisans & Craftpersons
- Authors & Writers
- Audio & Video Recording Technicians
- Broadcast Technicians
- Conductors, Composers & Arrangers
- Conservators & Curators
- Fashion, Theatre, Exhibit & Creative Designers
- Film Video Camera Operators
- Graphic Arts Technicians
- Graphic Designers & Illustrators
- Interior Designers Decorators
- Library & Public Archive Technicians
- Motion Pictures & Broadcasting & Support Occupations
- Motion Pictures & Broadcasting & Technical Occupations
- Musicians & Singers
- Museum & Art Galleries & Technical Occupations
- Painters, Sculptors & Other Visual Artists
- Patternmakers & Textile, Leather & Fur Products
- Performing Artists
- Producers, Directors & Choreographers
- Translators & Interpreters
- Instructors in Recreation, Sports and Fitness
- Sports Officials & Referees