Canadian Spouse Visa Update

Posted on Categories Spouse Visa

Thinking of applying for a Canadian spouse visa from the UK? Read this important update regarding work permits for Canadian spouse visa applicants and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada

Foreign nationals in Canada applying to immigrate as a spouse or common-law partner will continue to have the opportunity to work while waiting for their application to be finalized.
A pilot program giving them open work permits is being extended for one year, until December 22, 2016.To be eligible for an open work permit, you must be a spouse or common-law partner living in Canada who is being sponsored under the Canadian Spouse visa or common-law partner in Canada (SCLPC) class.
You must have valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student or worker) and live at the same address as your sponsor.If you have already submitted an application for permanent residence under the SCLPC class but have not yet applied for an open work permit, you can complete a work permit application.
If you have already received approval in principle on your permanent residence application—meaning you received a letter from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada stating you meet the permanent residence eligibility requirements but have not yet passed the medical, security and a criminal background check service for your family members or yourself—you may apply for an open work permit online.
If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before your current work permit expires. If you are submitting a new application under the SCLPC class, you may submit a work permit application at the same time as your sponsorship application, along with an application for permanent residence, under the SCLPC class. You must include the appropriate fees, and send all completed applications together to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga.
If you are applying for a Canadian spouse visa from the UK and would like more information please contact us.

About the Author

Harjit Grewal was born and educated in the United Kingdom where he obtained his LLB (Bachelor of Law) and LLM (Master of Law). He practiced British immigration law for seven years with the respected Immigration Advisory Service as a member of the Law Society of England & Wales and the Office for the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC). After moving to Canada he secured the prestigious ICCRC designation to provide authorized Canadian visa and immigration services.

Add a commentLeave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.